Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sure Signs of Autumn's Approach

Nothing says fall to me more than the colour orange. So when I first see the orange Chinese Lanterns from the back door, I know that autumn is closing in. The official start of fall is still about six weeks away but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to it. The heat of July and August have worn me down a bit and the drought is a downer.

For all my whining and complaining about how invasive Chinese Lanterns are, I'm sad they didn't do better this year. For the most part, they all look a little grungy. But I have been unkind to them. I yanked most of them and neglected the rest. Now I feel bad.

The lanterns look great on the stem adding a splash of colour to the garden just as most of it is fading. But I like to pick them and open up the lantern to create "petals." A small bowl of these beauties makes a lovely centrepiece for the table and it keeps a long time.

My serviceberry is getting a jump start on fall. It's way to early for leaves to be changing colour, isn't it? But alas, I've got a few red ones on the go. The serviceberry has a bad case of powdery mildew so I suspect that might be part of the problem if not the problem. Putting aside concerns about how the tree is performing, I have to say I'm thrilled about the leaf colour. The more colour in fall the better. Bring it on.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Fall is in the air here, as well...though our days are still hot, the nights are getting much cooler.
That is a very creative way to use your chinese lanterns, by opening them up! They make a lovely looking flower, quite different than their original shape.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

As hot as it is here in Iowa, I will welcome fall. Does your serviceberry attract a lot of birds, I have always intended to plant some serviceberry, just have not gotten around to it. The Chinese lanterns are lovely.