Saturday, October 13, 2007

Fall Inspiration

Fall is always such a bag of mixed emotions for me. I love the changing colours and the relief from the heat. But I dread the oncoming winter and its dark, dreary days. Facing the next six months without my garden makes we want to hibernate. I was about to watch the mums fade, call it a season and accept the cold, hard reality of the coming Canadian winter. Then I went on a garden tour.

Sadly, my camera batteries failed me on this day. So the pictures posted here feature the autumn accents around my home. I wish the camera had worked because these gardens were gorgeous. There were very few blooms to speak of at this time of year. But lots of showy shrubs and foliage. More curves, stepping stones, water features and garden rooms than I have ever seen. I was very inspired. I thought I was running out of room in my garden. Now I realize, I've only just begun. It was also great to talk to real gardeners. Everyone was so happy to answer questions and dish about garden successes and failures.

At the end of the day, I walked away with a list of must-have plants for next year: culver's root, boneset, bittersweet, ironweed, turtlehead, japanese anemone, cornus florida, wood poppy and bloodroot. Many of these are indigenous to Ontario. It was very encouraging to see so many native plants growing in backyards. I'd like to take my own backyard in that direction. And now that I've been inspired, the winter ahead doesn't look so bad after all. I've got some serious research and planning to do. The October garden tour: I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went on a fantastic Open Days garden tour last October. October is prime gardening season here in Austin, rather than closing-up-shop time, which allowed me to get out and dig after being inspired on the tour. Alas, they didn't repeat the tour this October, but I hear it'll be on the schedule again next fall.