Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Garden Springs to Life

Non-gardeners might find it funny that a daffodil is enough to make me gasp with excitement, but it does. I was snapping pictures in the yard this afternoon when I spotted the unmistakeable yellow of one of my favourite springtime bulbs. I just love daffodils. I gush over them. I can't get enough. Once I was able to contain my enthusiasm, there was plenty more to see.

The Hellebore "Ivory Prince" survived the winter. All three of the plants are getting ready to send forth their blooms. I may need to move them though. I don't think they are getting enough light.

The calamint is poking through. The leaves are tiny right now. By mid-summer they will be more than a foot high, drenched in tiny white blooms, and fragrant beyond belief.

The Sedum "Autumn Joy" is as plucky as ever. I really should add a few more to my collection of two.

The daylilies are, as ususal, the most prolific of the garden plants. They are already several inches tall. Just like in past years, new lilies have popped up just beyond the garden's edge.

I'm most excited about these two beauties: the foxtail lilies. Last year I had only one. Seeing two bursting through the ground is enough to make me do a little dance. I have had two consecutive years of foxtail lily blooms. I give full credit to plain old good luck. There have been years without any blooms at all. I'm going to do a little research to determine the conditions they like and then provide those conditions as best as I can. The extra effort will be worth it. When the foxtail lilies are in bloom, it's hard to notice anything else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello
i've just come across your blog. i live in ontario too.
in the SW corner of the province in a historic town called Amherstburg.

i love your pictures. i'm planting a new wildflower bed...my second. my first one needs a lot of tending to because i planted yarrow.

that was a mistake as it crowds out other more delicate plants.

so, what part of the province is your garden?

the plant nuturer