Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Most Pleasing Combination

I have cursed the day I planted Mountain Bluet more times than I care to remember. I can't recall where it came from or why it appealed to me in the first place but I do know that I have been pulling up its seedlings for about a decade. This plant spreads like crazy and by extension tests my sanity as a gardener. Each spring I vow to get rid of it once and for all. Then it blooms and wins me over once again. Last year I planted a Salvia "Blue Queen" next to it. I needed to fill a hole. What can I say? The combination really works for me. For once, I'm not singing the mountain bluet blues.

1 comment:

Connie said...

I understand your sentiments, but I do love the early blue flowers of Mt. Bluet! Mine behaves pretty well ....maybe because I deadhead the flowers to keep them coming, and that prevents too many seeds from falling to the ground.