Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I've Been Tagged!

There are all sorts of firsts in the blogosphere: first post, first comment, first anniversary. I have to thank the tenacious Gardenista at Northern Exposure Gardening for another first here at My Roots Run Deep. I've been tagged! If the hands don't give it away, here's something very obvious about me: I LOVE to garden. But today's tag is about the not so obvious.

But first, let's get the guidelines out of the way:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on the blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

So here goes: six random facts about me.

1. I have only ever lived at three addresses, all within a five minute walk of each other. In fact, I live on the street I grew up on. My preference for my west-Toronto neighbourhood is in part the inspiration for the name of my blog. My husband always jokes about how deep my roots really run.

2. When mystery writer Elizabeth George comes out with a new novel, I put everything on hold. The laundry languishes, the phone goes unanswered, the family is left to fend for themselves for dinner. Even a trip to the garden centre can wait. She's that good. I have read everything she has written and am amazed that she keeps getting better and better and better. And I don't even like mysteries!

3. I saw Martin Scorsese's "Mean Streets" in high school. The film, featuring a young Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel, blew me away. There was a raw energy to it that I had never seen before. It was back in the days of the VHS tape so when I finished watching the film, I hit rewind and watched it again. I still consider it my favourite film of all-time. (Note to Gardenista: "Hot Fuzz" is a great film, the best time I had at the movies in a long-time.)

4. I always wear my hair short. If it's longer than a buzz cut, it's too long for me.

5. I'm addicted to Coca-Cola. I could live on Coke and Coke alone. I deal with my Coke obsession by going cold-turkey. I once went a whole year without a taste. Now, I try to keep my habit to a can a week.

6. I love Halloween. If it were up to me, the whole country would get a week off to decorate and celebrate and fling ridiculous amounts of candy to waiting children. It is just too much fun! Last year I was Moses but was mistaken for Santa Claus and Dumbledore from the Harry Potter films. I guess the costume alone wasn't enough. I need to work on developing the character.

Now it's my turn to tag:

1. Connie at Notes from a Cottage Garden. Connie always has an encouraging word and her beautiful garden is an inspiration.

2. Gisela at Guildwood Gardens. Gisela's garden and wildlife photos are so beautiful I find it hard to believe we live in the same city.

3. Jeremy at Paradise in Progress. The man with a garden blueprint one day, and a beautiful garden the next.

4. Garden Lily at Flowers and Weeds. Garden Lily's espaliered fruit trees are simply divine.

5. Violet at Lady Greenthumb's Garden. I just started reading Violet's blog. Her flowers are beautiful. Her garden crew of cats and dogs is delightful. And we can commiserate over Croatia's performance in the Euro Cup.

6. And finally, The Wicked Gardener This Florida gardener cracks me up. Just check out the anniversary photo on her blog. Married on Halloween! That's what I'm talking about! Oh, and her garden rocks too.

So tag. You're it. Thanks again to Gardenista for inspiring some fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your visits and your comments:
I am pleased to be nominated and asked to write six random things about me..
Perhaps at a later time?
The garden and lake is waiting for me.
-Cheers Gisela

Garden Lily said...

Irena, this has been so much fun! Thanks for tagging me! I posted my 6 random facts this morning.
Garden Lily

Viooltje said...

Irena, just to let you know, I have paid my dues! And spilt some more beans ;-). It took me a while to finally find some time to sit down and get hold of me keyboard. Thanks for tagging me and have an enjoyable weekend.

Violet