Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Enough to Make Me Cry

Actually there are not enough onions here to make me cry and that's the really sad part. I'll pause here so readers can take a moment to break out their magnifying glasses....... Can you see them? I know it's tough but if you get really close to the screen and squint a little you might be able to make them out. Now where was I? Oh yes. My onions are a flop. A colossal failure. An unmitigated disaster. My big mistake boils down to three words: location, location, location. I planted two rows of onion seeds, a white bunching heritage variety, on the wrong side of two rows of carrots. The carrots did, and are still doing, incredibly well. So well, in fact, that they completely shaded out the onions. Arrghhh! Lesson learned. I won't make the same mistake next year. In the meantime, I'm going to try and make the most of my pathetic little harvest: perhaps I can whip up the world's smallest serving of french onion soup? A thimble-sized onion casserole? Would pickling be overkill?

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Perhaps these are pearl onions?? I love pearl onions cooked with peas. Yummmmm. I can understand your disappointment if they were supposed to be big enough to make braids.

Viooltje said...

What would a gardener's life be without a little disappointment here and there ;-)? I, for instance, would be quite happy if onion soup was my only issue. I dread merely taking a peek at my veg garden. Keep up the great work.