Sunday, August 9, 2009

Clematis Niobe

I am always planting stuff with the expectation that I won't see blooms until the following season. So when I planted a Clematis "Niobe" late last month I never expected to see this.

A beautiful bloom...

...unfurling on its trellis. There are least another four buds ready to open.

The camera makes "Niobe" look much more purple than it is. In reality, it is more of a rich red. The colour is a welcome addition to my mostly purple garden palette but not too much of a departure from my traditional favourites. Niobe joins another clematis, "Ernest Markham," in the yard. In a few seasons, I'm hoping both will become the thick, lush, floriferous vines I've been dreaming about for years.

2 comments:

Connie said...

I have a Niobe clematis on my front porch post. I love that we can see the flowers from our dining room when it is in bloom. It also re-blooms in the fall, a big plus.

Nutty Gnome said...

It looks gorgeous - lucky you!