Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dwarf Iris Cantab Returns

Dwarf Iris "Cantab" was easily my favourite addition to the garden last year. It is a true blue that makes me swoon. I recall reading somewhere that "Cantab" aren't really expected to return so it was with great delight that I discovered them in bloom. It does seem that there are fewer flowers this year but even one bloom is more than welcome. This is truly a stunner.

Sadly, it has been an absolutely wretched spring and "Cantab" is a little worse for wear. The temperatures have been really cold. The winds have been biting. And the rains have battered everything -- the crocus have been flattened and the "Cantab" is barely holding its own against the conditions. There's sunshine in the forecast for tomorrow. I'll have to do my best to get outside and enjoy the fleeting beauty of the spring bulbs.

2 comments:

Salix said...

That is a beauty! Irises are some of my very favourite flowers. You have a lot of beautiful spring bulbs.
Lene

O.I.M said...

Thanks Lene. I love bulbs in spring. They don't mind the cold at all! Even though the garden season has barely begun I've already got plans to plant many more bulbs next fall.
irena