Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crocus: Yalta and Prince Claus

Happy spring! There's one new crocus in bloom to welcome the changing of the season. Crocus "Yalta" was easy to identify with its distinct pattern of alternating purple and white petals.

Sadly, out of the twenty I planted, only two are in bloom. I've said it before and I'll say it again: squirrels! I hope these flowers make a comeback next spring. They are an eye-catcher.

After staring at this bunch long enough I have convinced myself that these flowers are Crocus "Prince Claus."

"Prince Claus" has what I would call "smudgy" purple highlights on the outside of the petals (as opposed to the distinct stripes and feathers of Crocus "Fuscotinctus".

There are a few crocus varieties that have yet to appear including some of the Dutch Giants but I would say the majority have bloomed and are already fading. Hard to believe that's the case on the first day of spring.

No comments: